Tuesday 2 December 2008

My Drawings

Hi

For the last couple of weeks I have been going to a pastels art class at the kids school. I have always wanted to be able to draw and I think it will come in handy when making art quilts.

The teacher there has the patience of a saint and the classes are really fun.

On our first class I did the swan. I walked around the class until I found what looked like the easiest picture! Ok so I wimped out but thats what you do if you have no talent!! It turned out quite well.
The next couple of classes I worked on a picture of a building with a door and a fire hydrant. A lesson on perspective would have come in handy. Please note that it is not featured on this blog!

Today I managed to finish my orchid. This was based on a photo. The whole art class went around Singapore one Saturday, where we took lots of photos of things that we would like to draw. Hotels are a great place for flowers as they have some stunning flower arrangements. We must have looked quite funny with our heads and cameras stuck in all their flower arrangements!

I am soo pleased with this one and I cant wait to take it home. I have started a new one with a sunset. It is quick and easy and I managed to get my fingers really messy which was great.

On another note - I have started a new sewing project. I am sewing myself a pair of jeans. It is quite hard finding pants that fit here. They are all made for small and slim singaporean women. My friend Hennie gave me the pattern and she has been helping me make it. She is a great sewer, card maker, crafter etc etc.

I pulled out my overlocker for the first time since we arrived in Singapore only to find that a cockroach had decided to build a nest in it. Ewwwww!!!

Wells that all for now.

Happy quilting

Marianne






4 comments:

~Niki~ said...

You are invited to 'the last push' quiltathon! post the link on your site and of course pictures of your quilt progress Dec 13th!. Hope you will join all of us! http://www.justusquilters.blogspot.com
Niki in AZ
Just Us Quilters

Brooke said...

I'm so pleased for you to see the progress you are making in your art. The drawings are absolutely wonderful and you should be very proud. And you're right, it will help with your quilting.

But you are very brave to be attempting to make pants for yourself. Keep me posted on how that's going.

Renee said...

Hi Marianne.... just checked out your blog and webpage. I am impressed, first living in Singapore with three small children. Then taking an art class in Singapore! I can't even get myself to take an art class at home in my own town and I sure do need some lessons on perspective!

Love the Orchid and your wavy piece on your website!

Cheers!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Beautiful orchid!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/