Sunday 8 February 2009

sashiko

Newsflash!

Remember how I said that I was doing some knitting? well I have discovered that knitting is just not my thing! (and Im pretty terrible at it) so I thought that I would try my hand at some sashiko (japanese embroidery) instead.

I am in the process of making some coasters for on my coffee table to replace the glass ones that keep smashing when dropped on our marble tiled floor.

I have borrowed two nice books about sashiko from one of the ladies at the dutch craft group. I have finished stitching two of them already. I think with a bit of practice I should be able to get the stitches pretty even. Its nice to do some hand stitching again.
Tomorrow my mother in law and I are off to Bangkok for a few days and are planing to do a cycling tour. We have heard great things about this tour and we are looking forward to a couple of days away and seeing some of the city. Neither of us have been to Thailand before so it should be quite an eye opener.
I will post some pictures when we get back.
We went to St Georges church this morning and we all really enjoyed the service. There were quite a few people there that we knew from school and a couple from our home church in NZ as well as my daughters school teacher from NZ. Isnt the world a small place!
Well thats all for now folks!
Marianne

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I think sashiko is so cool, and definetely useful in quilts. Have a great time in Thailand!

Renee said...

sashiko from knitting.... feeling adventrous are you :-) Good for you. Now let's see if you can add some weaving into those sashiko stitched pieces.

Renee